While I do love the occasional air fried batch of processed/frozen, super-breaded chicken strips and nuggets, the whole purpose of this air fryer craze is to try and cook at least a little bit healthier, right?
I made some chicken strips for dinner last night that turned out really good! Super simple – just 3 ingredients – a quick prep, and they came out fully cooked and moist inside and really crispy outside. My breadcrumb of choice is always Panko (here’s a great article about what Panko is from Chowhound) when I want my coating to be crunchy. The little flakes crisp up so much more nicely than standard breadcrumbs, and it’s available everywhere now. I buy the seasoned store brand for 99 cents!
Follow along and try these for yourself, they’re pretty hard to mess up! 🙂
Pro tip #1: I never flour my chicken when breading – just pull out of the package and dry with a paper towel – it helps the egg stick better!
Pro tip #2: Use tongs to do your dipping and breading process – keeps your fingers clean!
Easy Air Fried Fresh Chicken Breast Strips
Serves: 3-4 with sides (we had peas and rice!)
Start to Finish: about 30 minutes
Here’s what you’ll need, and note the cooking time can be altered depending on your preferred crispness and how many you’re making at once:
- 1 – 1.5 lb of fresh chicken breast strips
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups Seasoned Panko breadcrumbs (I did not test with regular breadcrumbs, so if you do, let me know how they come out!)
- Salt and pepper to taste; cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken strips from package and pat dry; set up two bowls and one plate.
- In one bowl add 4 eggs and whisk to combine. In second bowl, add bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- One by one, dip chicken strips into beaten egg and then drop into bread crumbs, pressing in as needed and shaking off any excess. Transfer to plate and pile up.
- Open air fryer and spray bottom of basket with nonstick cooking spray (I use Olive Oil Pam). Place chicken strips in but do not over crowd or layer on top of each other. I fit almost the whole 1.5lb pack in mine.
- Spray tops of chicken lightly with nonstick spray (this helps the browning!) and close air fryer.
- Cook at 360 degrees for 17 minutes. No need to shake or turn over chicken – just set it, make your sides, and enjoy! Increase time if you like it crispier.
I use the Cosori 5.8qt Air Fryer, and love it!