Got 30 minutes? Then you can make some really great chicken legs for dinner! These easy chicken legs start out in your Instant Pot and finish off under the broiler (or in a super hot oven) for an end result that’s moist and tender inside, and crispy outside. Starting off in the Instant Pot simply speeds up the cooking process (and retains those juices!), so you’ll have dinner on the table in no time at all. Tip: at the 15-minute mark, make your sides so that your complete meal is done all at once!
This recipe is just three easy steps:
- Season your chicken legs
- Place into your Instant Pot (on top of the trivet to prevent burning)
- When done, finish off in a hot oven or broiler to crisp up the skin
My all-time favorite flavor booster is Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning. I literally use it every day! From chicken to steak to roasted veggies and eggs, it adds that perfect little bit of flavor and tastes great on everything. In this recipe, I mixed up my dry rub and ground a hefty amount of this into the mix.
Instant Pot Chicken Legs
Total Time 30 mins
- 3-4lbs Chicken Legs
- 1/2 teaspoon each: paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper (and if using, Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning)
- 1 Cup water or chicken broth
- Your favorite BBQ Sauce (I love Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- Combine all of your spices in a bowl and rub all over chicken legs.
- Place trivet inside the Instant Pot and add 1 Cup of water (or broth) to the pot.
- Pile up your chicken legs on top of the trivet.
- Close lid and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes (turn off Keep Warm feature).
- While cooking, preheat oven to 500 degrees F and make your sides.
- When done, quick release your pot and allow the steam to fully exit. Once pressure sensor drops and all steam has been released, set a timer for 5 minutes and let it sit.
- Once finished, your chicken legs are cooked! You can eat them as is, or if you prefer a crispy skin, line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Then, coat legs with your favorite barbecue sauce and place in the 500 degree oven for 10-15 mins.