This refreshing salad makes a great side for any summer meal – from sandwiches and burgers to tacos and fish – this recipe can be completely customized to your liking and it never disappoints!
Things to keep in mind: if using avocado, always add it just before serving to avoid browning. Also, this salad is great when made ahead and chilled, so make it the night before (or a few hours before) your meal and the flavors will really pop when it has time to sit and marinate.
Summer Black Bean Salad (serves 4-6)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes (I used Roma), chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn, removed from cob – feel free to replace with frozen corn or canned (drained)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 large avocado
- 2 fresh peppers (I used a combo of red and orange, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon if you’re using pre-minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- fresh cilantro, to taste
How to – the easy chop and dump method!
- Rinse and drain black beans, put in a large bowl.
- Remove corn from cob and add to bowl.
- Chop all vegetables and add to beans.
- Add garlic, olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro if using, and stir to combine.
- When ready to serve, chop avocado and add to salad. Mix again and serve. Store leftovers in a sealed container.