“They won’t be the same!”, they said.
“They won’t be as crunchy!”, they said.
Well “they’ were wrong! French Fries are a favorite in our house and I’m always looking for healthier ways to cook them. While I never truly “fried” them in a vat of oil, I did bake my fries in the past and they always came out not quite right – either overcooked or undercooked and I never got that crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside like a good, satisfying fry should be.
When I got my air fryer, I really didn’t expect anything spectacular, but I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised! One of the most common misconceptions about air frying is that there’s no oil involved. Lies! Some recipes do call for oil, but the quantity is so minute, especially in this recipe, that it’s truly just there for crisping purposes and a bit of flavor.
Follow my tips below and comment if you try my recipe!
The most important step! Do not skip soaking your fries – it makes all the difference!
Perfect Air-Fried French Fries
Start to Finish: about 45 minutes
• 2-3 large russet (baking) potatoes
• Cold water for soaking potatoes
• 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Clean and dry potatoes; cut into 1/2 inch strips
• Place potato strips into a bowl and soak in cold water for 10 minutes (NOTE: this is possibly the most important part of the how-to! Soaking will make the potatoes “less slimy” and aids in the crisping process, don’t skip this step!)
• After 15 minutes, rinse potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel
• Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F
• Place potatoes in a bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper until evenly coated
• When fryer is ready, place potatoes in basket gently piling but not packing them in and cook* at 380 degrees for about 28 minutes, shaking the basket half way through cooking.
• For crispier fries, cook a little longer!
*If you’re using the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8qt (my fryer!) – once preheated, add potatoes to basket and hit the “french fry” button and set for 28 minutes. It will automatically pause and remind you to shake half way through.