Weekday breakfasts have always been a struggle in my house. I can meal plan dinners for days on end – and have leftovers packed and ready for lunches – but when it comes to breakfast during the week, I admit, I fall short. It’s so easy to stop off at a Starbucks on the way to work, or grab a bagel or muffin somewhere, but last weekend, I decided to try something different: BREAKFAST BURRITOS!
Weekends by us are for big breakfasts – usually waffles or pancakes. But this time, I mixed it up a bit and made us breakfast burritos. They’re as simple as you’d expect: scrambled eggs, toppings and cheese, wrapped up in a soft tortilla. As we ate them, I thought ‘why not make more of these and freeze them for breakfast during the week?’, and I did.
Depending on the size of your family and how many burritos you have room for in your freezer, my recipe made about 8 burritos, but you can easily half or double to make less or more. These burritos are great for for the car when you’re rushing to school, or bringing to the office to heat up when you want a healthier-than-pastries option. Browse my little visual how-to, and get my full recipe below!
Makes about 8 (soft taco size burritos)
• 8 large eggs
• 4 frozen Brown ‘N Serve Sausages (I used Turkey)
• 1/2 bag frozen Hash Browns (I used Ore-Ida’s Potatoes O’Brien, which already includes chopped potatoes, chopped onion and peppers)
• 8 soft flour tortillas
• Toppings: any shredded cheese you like, fresh spinach, cooked mushrooms, sriracha, ketchup – whatever you prefer!
Try one of these great combos with your eggs and mix up your flavors a bit!
• Sausage + Cheese
• Spinach + Mushroom + Swiss
• Ham + Cheddar + Potato
• Sundried Tomato + Proscuitto + Mozzarella
• Bacon + Spinach + Bleu Cheese
1. Heat up a large griddle or fry pan, add the potatoes and begin to cook per package directions. While the potatoes are cooking, carefully slice the frozen sausages and add to the potatoes. Cook thoroughly and set aside.
2. Crack your eggs in a bowl and add salt and pepper if desired. Beat up and prepare a skillet with cooking spray or butter. Cook and scramble eggs as you normally do, then remove from heat.
3. Lay out a tortilla on your cutting board and begin the build! I started with cheese, then topped with my eggs then my potato/sausage mixture.
4. Make your burrito by bringing two opposite edges of the tortilla in, then start rolling onto itself from one side, being careful to keep those ends tucked in. If you’re having trouble rolling, you could have too much filling inside. Try removing some and roll again. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easy!
5. Wrap each burrito in waxed paper (or plastic wrap) to keep fresh. Place all of your wrapped burritos in a plastic resealable bag and place in freezer. Tip: if you’re making different varieties, write on each wrapper what they are before freezing so you’re not surprised!
6. When ready to take your burrito out for breakfast, remove wax paper/plastic wrapping and wrap lightly in a paper towel. Microwave for 1 min 30 seconds and enjoy!