When I stumbled upon this recipe from Betty Crocker, I couldn’t wait to try it. It seemed simple enough – slow cook the broth and veggies all day, then add the tortellini and cream cheese at the end. Well of course I was running late for work, and forgot to get my slow cooker together before I left the house!
I had a nice girls night planned, and really wanted to make something different, so I thought all day about how I could still make this recipe when I got home, and not have it take almost 8 hours. My solution: The Instant Pot!
I think I’m in favor of this version better, since you get a lot of extra flavor from sautéing the vegetables first – give it a try and let me know what you think!
I used the same ingredients in the same proportions as the original recipe, just changed the steps to make an 8-hour meal take just 45 minutes!
- 1 package (8 oz) white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (20 oz) refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Turn on Instant Pot to SAUTE mode and add butter, allow to melt.
- When the Instant Pot reads HOT, add mushrooms, onions, soy sauce, salt and pepper in cooker. Saute until vegetables are soft and lightly browned.
- Pour vegetable broth over vegetable mixture and turn off SAUTE mode. Stir and scrape to pick up brown bits on the bottom of pot.
Add tortellini and cream cheese to pot. Stir and cover, and select SLOW COOK for 30 minutes.
- Open Instant Pot when done and stir in fresh spinach. Let stand 5 minutes (sauce will thicken). Top with Parmesan cheese and basil.