If you’re tired of taco Tuesdays and want to mix it up a bit, this Burrito Casserole gives you the same flavor – and it’s great for feeding a crowd (think that big Football Party…). What I love most is that you can sneak lots of veggies in for some extra nutrition and they’re disguised by that great taco flavor (the kids won’t suspect a thing!).
Basically this recipe contains all the same elements of a burrito, without the mess of wrapping and rolling. I served mine with tortilla chips, sour cream and avocado and everyone loved it!
Start to finish: about 30 mins
What you’ll need:
- 1lb ground turkey (or beef, or chicken)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1 Can Rotel (8oz, or 1 Cup of your favorite pre-made salsa)
- 1 Cup frozen corn
- 1 Can (8oz) Black Beans
- 4 Cups of cooked white or brown rice
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream, Avocado, and Tortilla Chips for serving (optional, but YUMMY!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Prepare rice as directed on package. While rice is cooking, brown your ground meat with the chopped onion.
- Once meat is browned, add in: taco seasoning, water, Rotel, black beans, and corn.
- Stir all together until combined.
- Layer in baking dish: rice, then meat mixture, top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 15 mins or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado, chips, etc.