This is the very first recipe I ever made when I first got my Instant Pot, and it’s been a family favorite ever since!
What I love about it: it’s an entire meal made in one pot! It’s also really nice when you have a comfort food craving and don’t want to heat up the oven (or wait for a pot of water to boil for the potatoes). I’ve narrowed it down to 3 easy steps, and included the full details below.
Step 1: Cup potatoes and place in bottom of your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water and place rack on top of potatoes. Place a large piece of aluminum foil on top of rack to hold the meatloaf.
Step 2: make meatloaf and form into a shape that will fit inside your Instant Pot (into the foil). Mix up topping and brush on top of meat.
Step 3: once done cooking (20mins high pressure with a quick release), remove meatloaf on the foil and stick under your broiler if you prefer a crispy top. While the meat is broiling, mix up your mashed potatoes right in the Instant Pot!
My meatloaf mix: Serves 4 with leftovers
- 2 to 2-1/2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated (trust me, it’s good!)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients with hands (the best way!) in a large bowl until combined.
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined. Brush on meatloaf before cooking.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (for 4 servings):
- 4 russet/baking potatoes, peeled and washed, cut into even sized chunks
- 1 cup milk
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can cook these in your instant pot with or without the meatloaf! Place potatoes into pot with 1 cup water. Cook on high pressure for 20 mins with a quick release. Drain water and add milk and butter to the pot. Mash by hand or use electric mixer to whip. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes How To:
- Prep potatoes: peel, wash and chop up into equal size chunks. Place into bottom of Instant Pot with 1 cup of water.
- Place metal rack that came with your Instant Pot over the potatoes. Place a large piece of aluminum foil on the rack, making a well for the meatloaf to sit.
- Place meatloaf into the Instant Pot and pull up edges around meat to keep it separated from potatoes (this also prevents meat juices from dripping into the potatoes).
- Brush meatloaf topping on top of meat and close lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes (my pot is an 8qt and this timing has been perfect).
- When finished, quick release and carefully remove meat with the foil. If you like the top to be crispier, place meatloaf under the broiler for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and add milk and butter. Whisk or mash by hand (or with electric mixer) until you get the consistency you like! Serve with sliced meatloaf and enjoy!